I lost my mucus plug yesterday! This may be gross and/or TMI but I’m excited because its happening! Labor is imminent.
Basically, the mucus plug looks exactly like a giant booger that came out of your vagina. I’m a biology teacher so I can’t be bothered with saying “hoo ha”, sorry. Losing the mucus plug means that the cervix is opening up and beginning effacement (thinning). This isn’t an indicator of when labor will come, just that it is imminent. The Internets say that losing the plug means labor will be coming around the corner in 2-3 weeks but its not uncommon for women to experience labor within hours of losing it.
I lost mine yesterday morning around 10 am and Baby Taco is still hanging out in the womb. Her due date is in 17 days, so at least she’s on track.
At this point:
- I’ve gained 36 pounds… one pound over the recommended maximum of 35 pounds. I’m huge. I literally cannot fathom how all this weight is in me at this point. No stretch marks though and I hope it stays that way! Suffice to say, my self-esteem has taken a hit. I gave away my size 24 skinny jeans… because I’m not deluding myself into thinking that I’ll ever fit into those babies again. Its okay – Baby Taco is well worth a few extra inches on my waist.
- I don’t sleep. This morning, I was up from 3:30 – 6:30 am. As a result, ST was up for an hour or so, making me feel better and making me a snack, which caused us to wake up late and miss church. My boo takes such good care of me. No matter what time it is, he never complains about getting something I need, giving me hugs or a massage, or just giving me a kiss and snuggling closer.
- I vomit almost daily. During a recent bout of insomnia, I read that this is from taking evening primrose oil supplements to naturally induce labor. Oddly, I find that sweet stuff like granola bars are a trigger. I never, ever feel better after vomiting. Come to think of it, prior to getting pregnant I’ve only ever vomited a handful of times in my life. Now, its like part of the routine. I would take pain any day over nausea and vomiting. And its even worse when I vomit now because I know I have to eat again because Baby Taco got no nutrients from that meal.
- I am perpetually exhausted. I can count on two hands the number of days where I’ve actually felt normal, energy-wise, so this is nothing new. Its hard not socializing and turning down friends because I just can’t get off the couch. Today, more than ever, this is true. Even hanging out with my bestest, closest buddies is so hard. It sucks. I’m thanking past Carol and ST for having the sense to finish the nursery and make all major purchases last month.
- I’m sick. I got the flu vaccine for the first time ever, as per my midwife and sisters’ recommendations. The last time I got the flu was in college and I hardly ever get sick. This year, I’ve had two cases of sore throat. I sit here typing this post sipping raspberry leaf tea and mustering will power to get ready to run errands with Kim.
Now, its just a waiting game.